Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What's Cookin'- Taco Salad

I had this awesome taco salad at a function recently.  I searched for a couple different recipes and adapted it to my own tastes (and what I had in my freezer).  Turned out really tasty.


Taco Salad
(original recipe)

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1  package taco seasoning mix
  • 2 cups black beans
  • 1 (16 ounce) bottle French dressing (I used Kraft Catalina)
  • 1 head iceberg lettuce (I used spinach)
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) package Doritos
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 4 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
  • 1/2 cup prepared salsa (optional)

Directions

  1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef and drain.
  2.  Stir in the taco seasoning, beans and French-style dressing. 
  3. Fill the dressing bottle 2/3 full of water and add to the skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
  4. Crush the bag of chips, open the bag, and toss the broken chips into a large bowl with the lettuce, cheese and tomatoes. When the meat mixture is done, combine it with the lettuce, tomatoes, chips and mix well. Then, add salsa and sour cream.

**Note this needs to be mixed together right before eating otherwise the chips get soggy.  I actually made this as a lunch/snack and just kept all ingredients separate until right before eating and just added how much I wanted to eat for that meal.  The recipe can easily be halved.**

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails