1 cup shortening (I use Crisco)
1 1/3 cup sugar
4 Tbsp milk (more if needed)
1 tsp vanilla
2 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup water
1. Mix shortening, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla together.
2. Mix flour, baking soda and baking powder in bowl.
3. Add flour mixture to shortening mixture. Mix well.
4. Chill dough in refrigerator for 2 hours.
5. To making filling, mix dates, sugar, flour, and water in small saucepan. Heat on low until it reduces and is smooth.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Roll out dough (use lots of flour) to 1/4 inch thick.. Cut into circles.
8. Fill each circle with 1 tsp date filling. Fold over and pinch with a fork to form a half circle. Sprinkle with sugar.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes. Cookies with be golden brown when fully cooked.