We ate this for school lunch in grade school. A few years back I tried to replicate the taste and I came up with this. Very kid friendly!
1 lb ground beef
Mozzarella cheese, sliced works best (use vegan or soy-based cheese for dairy-free)
3 to 6 hamburger buns, depending on size
(this sauce makes enough for 3 meals. I use 1/3 per 1 lb of ground beef and freeze the rest in two containers for future meals)
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
1 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp basil
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 Tbsp brown sugar (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Brown ground beef. Drain.
2. Mix ingredients for sauce in a pot for 15 minutes on low.
3. Place hamburger buns open faced on cookie sheet (so 1 bun will equal 2 pizza burgers)
4. Toast buns at 300 degrees for 5 to 7 minutes (just so they are hard, not brown)
5. Mix meat and sauce together.
6. Scoop meat on each half of bun. Top with cheese.
7. Put back in oven for 5 to 7 minutes at 300 degrees or until cheese is melted.
**You can omit step 4, but doing so may make your pizza burger soggy.
**You could use a store brand of pizza sauce instead of making your own.