When making games for my daughter (or any child), it's really fun to use different textures and the senses. In this game I used bottle caps from water bottles and a plastic container. Shake that up and it's just plain fun for a 2-year-old before you even get started with the "learning." I must preface that this activity is for any child 2 to 5 who is learning upper and lower case letters. My daughter is really interested in letters, but not al 2-year-olds are ready for this one, yet. But you never know. I didn't think she was ready or would be able to do the whole thing and she surprised me. I advise not pushing, just do what they are interested in.
26 water bottle caps
Plastic container (or bag)
ABC stickers upper and lower case
File Folder or sturdy cardboard
1. I made 26 circles on a Open Office (MS Word works, too).
2. I placed a lower case letter sticker in each circle in order. You could write the letters, too. I used stickers because there are different fonts that children will see once they start reading. It also was more colorful.
3. I attached the paper with the circles and letters on a file folder. I used box tape to secure it.
4. I placed a upper case letter sticker on each bottle cap.
4. On the inner part of the bottle cap I wrote a self-correcting lower case letter. This will help children learning to correct themselves while playing alone. Be sure to put a line under letters, such as b, p, q, d, n, u, etc. That way there is no confusion.
To play: allow child to pick a bottle cap and match letters.
- Hand letters to child if you want to asses learning.
- Have child find letters in order and then match.
- Find vowels first, then match others.
- Find letters in name first, then match others.
- Say sounds as they match
- Sing ABCs
Skills focused on:
- Learning that letters have upper and lower case letters.
- Distinguishing between letters that look similiar, b,d, p, q, m, w
- Self-correcting skills
- Following directions
- Letter sounds
- Letter recognition
- Problem solving
- Learning Alphabetical order