Monday, April 26, 2010

Refilling the Swiffer

I don't really like the waste that using the Swiffer Wet Jet for cleaning of the floors can produce.  Not to mention the cost of refills.  I usually wash the floors by hand a couple times a month and Swiffer the rest of the time (because it is easier).  I bought my Swiffer at a garage sale for about $6 (unopened).  I figured out a way to not have to buy expensive refills for the cleaning solution.

I asked my husband (who given a challenge always comes through) to unscrew the unscrewable cap on the solution container for the Swiffer Wet Jet.  Then I just refill the solution with water and Mr. Clean Multisurfaces Liquid.  You only need to use about a 1/4 cup or less depending on the size of your original container.   I would imagine any cleaning solution will work.  I bought Mr. Clean because it is made by Proctor and Gamble (who makes Swiffer as well) and believe it will work the closest to the original solution.


  • Cost for Mr Clean Multi-Surfaces Liquid -- less than $4 (coupons make it less) and you can use for lots and lots of times.
  • Cost for one Swiffer Wet Jet Solution refill -- about $4 and you get about 2 or 3 uses out of it.  


As far as the refills for the pads, the only good alternative I've found are at the Dollar General.  They are okay, but don't expect them to work as good as the original.  They run about $4 for 12.  I alternate these with the Swiffer pads.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails