Monday, January 26, 2009

$5 Dinner Challenge

You have to check out $5 Dinners for more ideas for cheap meals. I love all the ideas I get from reading this site.

Here's my recipe for the $5 Challenge this week. I always have a hard time figuring exact cost. My prices are estimated. I have posted this recipe before here.

Potato Casserole

1 head green cabbage of 15 oz can of sauerkraut (I use cabbage -- .75)
1 1/2 lb ground beef ($2.25)
1 small onion chopped (.30)
5 cups potatoes, sliced ($.75)
1 (10 oz) can cream of mushroom (.50)
1 (10 oz) can cream celery (.50)
1 can of water
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Cut cabbage and boil for 15 minutes in large pot. (if you use cabbage otherwise start with step 2)
2. Brown ground beef with. Drain.
3. While beef is browning and cabbage boiling, peel and cut potatoes.
4. Lay potatoes on bottom of greased casserole dish.
5. Place ground beef on top of potatoes.
6. Place cabbage (or sauerkraut) on top of beef.
7. Mix soups and water together, then pour on top of everything.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours

** You can use an combination of cream soups. **

Be sure to check out this week's giveaway -- free box of Kashi Cereal Bars!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails