Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What's Cookin' -- French Fried Onions

The other night I was making my Tuna Mac and Cheese and realized I didn't have any French Fried Onions. We've been cutting back on a grocery bill the last three weeks and eating up the freezer and pantry. I usually buy a big can of French Fried Onions every couple months that takes care of two or three recipes. So, I searched the Internet so see what a copycat recipe would require. The meal just doesn't taste the same without them. I was shocked and amazed by the simplicity of this recipe. And of course I love that it doesn't have all the preservatives as the store bought can.

French Fried Onions
Not sure where I found this, I searched many websites looking for consistency. This makes enough for one topping on a casserole.

1 cup milk
1 medium to large yellow onion
1 cup flour, more if needed
Vegetable oil (I like to buy the store brand Blended Vegetable oil because it only has 5 percent saturated fat, versus 10 percent that most have)
Salt (optional)

1. Heat oil on high to 350 degrees in a skillet (size is up to on how much you want to do at a time. I used 8 inch and that worked fine.)
2. Soak sliced onion in milk for 5 minutes.
3. Drain milk.
4. Coat onions with flour.
5. Fry for about 5 minutes or until onions are brown. If you have more onions that room for in the skillet, do them in batches.
6. Drain on paper plate.
7. Use as a topping.

A couple notes: You need to have a little knowledge of frying foods to get this one right. It took me a couple tries and I fry food all the time. Also, in several of the recipes I saw online they said you can store in air tight container for a couple months. I haven't tried this yet.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails