Wednesday, October 7, 2009

What's Cookin' -- Pumpkin pancakes

Okay, I confess. I use Aunt Jemima pancake mix. Here's my reasoning. When I first tried pancakes on my daughter (who has a milk allergy), it was what I had in the pantry. She was able to tolerate them. When you have a child with a food allergy, you tend to only use products you know won't cause a reaction. Also, with coupons, I've found that it really is cheaper than making from scratch. At least for us, because my daughter is the only one who eats pancakes. I make a batch and freeze the rest. Works great, too.

So this week's recipe uses pre-made pancake mix, but you could simply add the extras into your own homemade recipe. We had a couple cooking pumpkins from the garden. We followed these directions and we had one cup left over. I made some whole-wheat pumpkin rolls from Stolen Moment's Menu Planning service and the following pumpkin pancakes.

Pumpkin Pancakes
1 cup pancake mix
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup pumpkin puree

1. Make mix as usual with milk and egg or water depending on directions.
2. Add applesauce, cinnamon and pumpkin.
3. Make pancakes on griddle.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails