Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What's Cookin' --Homemade BBQ Sauce

We have an endless debate in our house about sauces -- pizza, spaghetti, barbeque, etc.  Eventually we come to a compromise.  I recently made this barbeque sauce and while it's not really my husband's tastes, it is mine.  It's easy to make and can be used in many recipes.

Homemade BBQ Sauce
(Adapted from America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook)

2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp chili powder (I use less)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (I use less)
1 cup ketchup
5 Tbsp light or dark molassess
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard (I use French's Yellow)
1 tsp Tabasco (I use less)
Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Heat oil in large saucepan.
2.  Add onion and cook until softened.
3. Stir in garlic, chili powder and cayenne for about 15 seconds.
4. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 25 minutes. Sauce should thicken.
5. Cool to room temperature before serving.

**You can adjust how spicey/hot you want this by adding more or less chili powder and cayenne.**

I have used this for a dipping sauce with grilled meat and then used the remaining sauce with a pork roast in the crockpot for pulled pork sandwiches.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails