Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What's Cookin' -- Zucchini Bread

Here's my favorite zucchini bread recipe! It is adapted from the Betty Crocker cookbook.

Zucchini Bread
3 cups shredded zucchini
1 2/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil (I use store brand blended oil)
2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloved
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cups nuts (I omit for my toddler)
1/2 raisins (I omit because without the nuts it doesn't taste right to add raisin -- just my opinion)

1. Preheat oven 350 degrees.
2. Grease two loaf pans 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches or one 9 x 5 x 3 inches.
3. Mix zucchini sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs in large bowl.
4. Stir in remaining ingredients.
5. Pour into loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until done.

**I usually use small disposable tins (that I reuse) and freeze a couple loaves. Simply, cover with wax paper with aluminum foil and freeze. It's great to pull out of the freezer for snacks. **

Substitutes (that I haven't tried, but plan to)

Cranberry Bread: Add fresh or frozen cranberries for zucchini and add 1/2 cup milk with oil and add 2 tsp lemon or orange peel with vanilla. Omit cinnamon, cloves and raisins. Bake 60 to 70 minutes

Pumpkin Bread: Substitute one 16 oz can of pumpkin for zucchini.

1 comment:

Susannah said...

I used to make this regularly. Out of the habit now. Thanks for the reminder! :~D

e-Mom @ Susannah's Aprons
http://susannahsaprons.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails