Tuna Noodle casserole
I halved the recipe and it made two large servings.
salt and pepper
10 oz green beans
1 cup macaroni (or other pasta)
2 cans tuna
4 slices of bread, cut off crusts (or use pre-made bread crumbs, I often used crushed saltines)
2 Tbsp melted butter
1. Boil green beans for 5 minutes. Drain and reserve water.
2. Boil pasta in green bean water for 6 minutes. Drain.
3. Preheat oven to 35o degrees.
4. In bowl combine pasta, green beans and bechamel sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Gently fold in tuna.
5. Put bread in food processor or blender until crumbs form. (skip this part if using pre-made bread crumbs or crushed saltines). Mix with butter.
6. Pour tuna mixture in casserole dish and top with bread crumbs.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Bechamel sauce (white sauce)
3 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups whole milk (I used skim milk)
1. Melt butter with onions for 6 minutes in saucepan on medium-low.
2. Add flour and salt. Stir for about 5 minutes.
3. Whisk and pour in milk. Bring to boil.
4. Whisk constantly for 7 minutes
5. Reduce heat to low stirring until sauce is thickened for about 10 minutes.
**Can be stored for 5 days. **
For more great recipes check out the Grocery Cart Challenge!