This is part of the $5 Dinner Challenge.
This one is a little hard to break down the cost because usually these are products I have on hand except for the ham. If you use leftover ham or ham steak this easily costs around $5. And it is so yummy. Original post of this recipe.
Ham & Cheddar Cheese Casserole
2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
1 cup carrots, sliced
2 ribs celery, chopped
3 cups chicken broth to cover veggies (you can use less, dilute with water or use chicken bullion)
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 small onion, minced
2 cups fully cooked ham, cubed
7 tbsp butter, divided (I use a lot less)
3 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups milk
salt & pepper
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1.In a sauce pan bring the potatoes, carrot, celery, garlic, onion, broth to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for about 15 mins. Drain, place back in pot.
2. In a skillet, saute the ham in 3 tablespoons of butter until golden brown. Add to the drained potato mixture.
3. In a sauce pan, melt the remaining butter, stir in the flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, salt, and pepper.
4. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat and add cheese and stir until melted.
5. Pour over potato & ham mixture.
6. Place mixture in a greased 13 x 9 pan.
7. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 25-30 mins. or until heated through. You can sprinkle the top with some of the cheese or bread crumbs.
Check out some of my other recipes!