Thursday, August 21, 2008

Psychic (Mis) Readings

When I graduated from college in 1999, I was in search of a job. Actually a career. I wasn't so sure about going into journalism after my four years of writing and "learning." So, where do you turn? How about a psychic? They were all the rage in the 1990s.

There was a lady who did reading just outside of the town I lived in. I figured it couldn't hurt any and maybe I was just in search of a little hope. I wrote down everything she told me when I got home to see if anything would come true. Recently, I stumbled across the journal I wrote down these predictions. I thought it might be an interesting read for anyone who wonders about the validity behind psychic readings.

6/28/99
* She told me I will live to be 87. Guess we don't know about that one yet.
* I'll marry in five years. I got married in 2006. So she was a little off.
* The man who will sweep me off my feet (ooh, that's good) will have light hair and hazel eyes. My husband has dark brown, almost black hair and brown eyes. Well, good guess.
* I'm going to meet him in two years. I met my husband in 2005. Two years or six years, there really isn't much difference is there?
* He will be two years older than me. My husband is 11 months and 2 days older. Maybe she was seeing those two days.
* He'll have a job in real estate. I don't really understand my husband's job in Fluid Power, maybe it's code word for "Real Estate."
* I'm going to have two kids. Well we don't know about that one just yet.
* My first born is going to be a boy. Oops, I had a girl. Well, she had a 50/50 shot.
* There's a lot of mumble jumble about becoming successful and feeling disappointed. Having the life I want (well of course I would make that happen).
* I will have a project with youth that will be spiritually rewarding. That one actually is true. When I worked at camp and all the other kids I've worked with in the last 6 years, I have found that very rewarding. I wonder though, if I didn't tip her off and say I wanted to work with children during the "reading." She asked a lot of questions.
*She sees travel in my future. Well, I did end up working at a travel company for two and a half years shortly after this. But then again doesn't everyone travel.
* She sees travel in Europe. Oh, well I haven't been that way yet.
* She sees a big move. East coast or New York. At the time I was thinking about moving to Boston. I bet I tipped her off on that. I actually lived in that city from 1995 to 2004. Nope, no big move. After that I only moved 20 miles away.
* I'll find a job in the next several weeks. I was working part-time as a reporter for the local newspaper and searching. It was October when I found that job at the travel company -- the "reading" was in June. Several weeks or 3 1/2 months. Close.
* She sees me being happy. I'm not happy where I am. Duh. That's why I was looking for a job. Good psychic intuition there.
* There will be three big changes in the next year that will affect my family, as well. There are always three big changes in our lives. Think about it right now, and I bet you can come up with three big changes in your last year.
* My lucky days are Aug. 15 to 20. Oh my, those just passed. Well let's see. Yeah, no luck this year. Maybe next year.
* My color is lavender, which means prosperity. Ok, that's cool. My favorite color is purple. And hey if it means prosperity then I picked a good color.
* Then I asked a bunch of stuff about family and friends. I remember her telling me she couldn't tell me about certain people because they weren't there. But she told me about some family and friends. Nothing specific. Although some if it was fairly accurate, but it could have just been the way I asked about the people. And how can you pick and choose on who's future you can see? Yeah, I don't know.

Well, there you have it. Nine years later and a few predictions gone wrong. Like I mentioned early, I think it really was about hope even if it was false hope. I was looking for that light-haired man for the longest time. I think I even scanned real estate listings for a while. But I'm sure glad I held out for my brown-haired, brown-eyed husband. Can't imagine life any other way!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails