Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What's Cookin' - Homemade Croutons

I've been experimenting with salad that are safe for me to eat (I have allergies to raw fruits and vegetables). I have found spinach to be the best option for salads without too much discomfort.  I wanted to add something else to the salad without spending a lot of money.  I found this great homemade crouton recipe.

Homemade Croutons
5 slices of bread (you can use any kind or buns)
1/2 cup butter (I used dairy-free Earth's Balance)
1 clove minced garlic

1. Cut bread into 1 inch cubes or size you prefer. You can leave crust on or cut them off and do this.
2. Lay on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes just to get them hard.  You can use day old bread and skip this step.
3. Melt butter and garlic in skillet.
4. Toss bread cubes with butter.  Place back on cookie sheet.
5.  Bake for 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until brown and crispy.
6.  Stores well for one week in airtight container. Serve with salads.

For more great recipes, check out the Grocery Cart Challenge!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails