Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cooking with Kids

Quote of the Day:  I tried a new apple muffin recipe today and as I took them out of the oven I told my daughter that I didn't think turned out the way they were supposed to.  I said "They turned out like..."she finished my sentence by saying "Rice Krispies treats."  I guess to a 2-year-old if they didn't turn out right they would turn out to be something better.

Onto my post for the day.  So often I read or hear people say how they don't let their kids cook with them.  I think that's a shame.  It's such a fun activity and a great learning tool.


Some things to keep in mind:


  • Having kids help will result in a messy kitchen, but don't you make a "mess" when you cook or bake.
  • It probably will take more time, but remember you are making memories with your children.
  • If you prep a few thing or line up ingredients it goes a little smoother.
  • Don't get upset if the cup of flour ends up on the floor -- be prepared that this will happen.
  • Have a plan before you start.
  • Smile and laugh together.
  • Take pictures.
  • Enjoy it together and share with others.  Kids love to take credit for their hard work.
  • Explain the importance of adult supervision for stove and oven cooking.
  • Role model proper cooking and baking techniques (ie no licking fingers while stirring batter or using sleeves as oven mitts).
  • Be sure to let children lick the spoon or bowl if no raw egg is used.
  • Be careful when cooking with raw meat and children.



What kid's learn:

  • Different measurements
  • How to work together
  • How to follow directions
  • To enjoy something they made
  • Different ingredients and how they work together
  • Nutrition information
  • How to clean up or do dishes (this is for older kids)


Fun Recipes

Less than 5 ingredients

More than 5 ingredients
See all my recipes here and here!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails