This is so good, it's worth the time to beat those eggs. I made this for my husband's birthday last month.
Angel Food Cake
This recipe is from Cook's Illustrated
1 cup cake flour (I used regular and it was good)
1 1/2 cups sifted granulated sugar
12 large egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp almond extracts
1 cup confectioners sugar
1. Preheat oven 325 degrees
2. In small bowl whisk flour with 3/4 cup sugar.
3. Place other 3/4 cup sugar in a bowl next to mixer.
4. Beat egg whites at low speed until just broken and beginning to froth.
5. Add cream. of tartar and salt. Beat at medium speed.
6. With mixer still at medium speed, beat 3/4 cup sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time until all sugar is added and whites are shiny with foam soft peaks.
7. Add vanilla, lemon juice, and almond extract and beat until just blended.
8. Sift flour mixture over egg whites, about 3 Tbsp at a time. Gently fold in with rubber spatula.
9. Pour into a large tube pan (16 cup capacity)
10. Bake until golden brown. About 50 to 60 minutes.
11. Pop cake out of pan when completely cooled.
12. Drizzle icing on top when cake is cooked.