Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What's Cookin' -- Tomato Sauce

I really don't like the flavor of most jarred tomato sauces. My husband makes a good sauce with spaghetti (maybe some day he'll let me post that here). But it takes a long time and lots of ingredients. I found two simple sauces that I make -- one for pasta and one for lasagna. I found both these from America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook.

Simple Tomato Sauce
3 Tbs Olive Oil
3 cloves garlic -- minced
1 (28 oz ) can crushed tomatoes
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
3 Tbs fresh basil (3 tsp dried)
1/4 tsp sugar
Salt to taste

1. Cook oil and garlic on medium heat until fragrant, not brown. About 2 minutes.
2. Stir in crushed and diced tomatoes with juice.
3. Bring to simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Add basil and sugar. Add salt to taste.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lasagna Tomato Sauce (good with any pasta)
1 Tbs olive oil
1 onion minced (I chop mine)
Salt to taste
6 garlic cloves
1 (28 oz ) can crushed tomatoes
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/4 dried oregano
1/8 red pepper flakes
Pepper to taste

1. Heat oil on medium heat until shimmering.
2. Add onion and 1 tsp salt. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Stir in crushed and diced tomatoes, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
5. Simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Canned tomato recommendation: Muir Glen. I also read this in America's Test Kitchen cookbook and love these tomatoes. They are a little pricier, but worth the taste.

**Yesterday, I added about 1 tsp of cocoa to the simple sauce and it took the edge off the tomato taste.**

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails