Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What's Cookin' -- Vegetable Soup

I've been trying to make my daughter's meals instead of buying them pre-made. Partly because of her food allergies and partly to give her a healthy diet. I also like things I can freeze for a quick meal, when I don't have anything extra for her. I plan, but am still figuring out her eating patterns.

Vegetable Soup
I like this better than a can of already made soup for four reasons. One: I know exactly what's in it. Two: I can water it down to cut down on sodium. Three: I always seem to have some extra fresh vegetables that need eating up and this helps solve that issue. Four: I can freeze it. Keep in mind I make this for my daughter so I chop everything up really small. Adjust for your meals.

1 can of beef broth (beef bullion works too)
1/4 cup fresh potatoes (cut up)
1/4 cup fresh carrots (cut up)
1 stalk of celery (cut up)
chopped onion to taste
1/4 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup frozen peas
1 to 2 Tbsp barley (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Pour broth in medium size pot.
2. Place fresh vegetables and barley in broth and bring to boil.
3. Let simmer 10 minutes on medium low.
4. Add frozen vegetables.
5. Let simmer another 10 minutes on medium low.
6. Serve up.

**Any combination of fresh or frozen vegetables works. Keep in mind frozen vegetables don't usually need as much time to cook. You can always add more of one or the other, too. Also a can of water can be used to thin out the broth. **

Freezing tip: I use baby food jars to freeze this soup. I froze 4 jars for instant meals and kept the rest for 3 meals this week. The soup in a jar will work good for traveling.

Buying tip: The Target brand of beef (and chicken) broth are considerable cheaper than the name brands. And work just as good!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails