Tuesday, June 9, 2009

What's Cookin' -- Banana Bread

This is my favorite, favorite, favorite banana bread recipe.  I actually like it so much, I haven't even tried another recipe in years.  I usually make two loaves and freeze one for later. 

Banana Bread
This recipe is from the Betty Crocker Cookbook.

1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter (I use unsalted)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 mashed bananas (3 to 4 medium bananas)
1/2 cup buttermilk -- see note below
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup nuts, optional (I usually omit this)

1. Preheat oven 350 degrees
2. Grease two loaf pans 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 or 1 loaf pan 9 x 5 x 3 inches.
3. Mix sugar and butter in large bowl.
4. Stir in eggs until well blended.
5. Add bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla.
6. Beat until smooth.
7. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt until moistened.
8. Stir in nuts.
9.  Pour into two loaf pans or one loaf pan.
10. Bake for 1 1/4 hours or until toothpick is clean.
11.  Cool and enjoy.

**If you're like me you don't normally have buttermilk. If you use powdered buttermilk stored in the pantry, you don't need to make a run to the store when you have ripe bananas. **

For more great recipes, check out The Grocery Cart Challenge!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails