Monday, June 15, 2009

Garden planning

I posted a while back about how we have 10 garden beds in the backyard at the house we are renting.  During the time it was to plant the seeds and plants, I was was in allergy misery (and although it's better, I'm still worn out because of all the sneezing).  So, my ambitious husband got the garden rolling and has been doing the upkeep.  We have so many vegetables coming up that I'm a little worried what we are going to do with them all.  I figure having some recipes in mind and freezing option available is the only way to stay organized once all these vegetables start coming in the house.  Of course, we will probably give a lot away, too.

I recently picked up Preserving Summer's Bounty, edited by Susan McClure and the staff of the Rodale Food Food Center at the library and it's been a useful tool in helping figure out what to do and make.  I really like that this books breaks down how to blanch common vegetables and that it has a lot of recipes that are relevant to using the foods grown in a garden.  It also has tips for freezing, canning, preserving and drying fruits and vegetables. 

Here is a start of some recipes and freezing ideas I've come up with.  
Frozen Broccoli
Zucchini fries
Frozen beans
Beans with onions
Frozen squash
Tomato Sauce
Tomato Paste
Tomatoes frozen
Frozen Peppers
Soup
Pasta Salads
Frozen Peas

Baked goods
carrot cake
carrot muffins
pumpkin bread
pumpkin pie
zucchini bread

Combinations of frozen vegetables
Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots
Peas and carrots

This is just my first reflection about what I'm planning to do.  I'll be adding to this list as I come up with more ideas!  Any suggestions are helpful, too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails