Scallops and Bacon Spaghetti
16 oz small scallops ($2)
2 slices bacon (.80 or less)
1 broccoli head, chopped (.99)
1 cup scallions (.10)
3/4 lb spaghetti (.75)
2 cloves garlic (.25)
1 tbsp lemon juice (.15)
Total = $5
1. In large pot cook pasta. Drain when done and reserve 1/2 cup pasta water.
2. While pasta is cooking, fry bacon in large skillet on medium until browned -- 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Put bacon on paper towel using slotted spoon.
4. Add broccoli, scallions, and garlic to skillet. Cook, stirring frequently.
5.Add scallops for 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Add 1/4 cup of pasta water and bring to just a boil.
7. Add scallop mixture and lemon juice to pasta. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Thin sauce with pasta water as needed.
8. Sprinkle with bacon on top.
For more frugal recipes, check out the $5 Challenge!