Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Time outs

I do not believe time outs are the best approach for disciplining children, especially toddlers.   Here is an article that I agree with.  

I believe much more in talking to children and working on correcting behavior.  I often hear of people putting their toddlers in time out because they did something "wrong."  The problem with this is that they don't really remember that what they did is wrong.  They might remember when you tell them, but to "punish" them because they are learning how to act doesn't make sense to me.  Think about it, does an employer put you in time out if you make a mistake?  Sounds pretty funny.  I believe in consistent parenting with high demands and high expectations.  I also believe that patience is key and at times it's okay to compromise.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails