Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What's Cookin' -- Chicken Stock

Check out this dairy-free brownies recipe over on my other blog -- my daughter even helped me make them!


Now, to today's recipe. A while back I found cut-up fryer chicken really cheap.  I picked up three.  I've never made chicken stock before and found this recipe in Preventions Freezer Cookbook: Quick dishes for and from the Freezer.  It was very easy to do and yielded three 1 cups and two 14 oz of chicken stock.  On top of that I was able to freeze the chicken for future use for chicken salad or casseroles.  


Chicken Stock
14 cups water
4 lbs chicken pieces
2 large carrots
2 small onions
6 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves


1. Combine all in large stock pot. 
2. Bring to boil over medium-high heat.
3. Skim foam from top. Reduce heat to low.
4. Cook for 2 hours.
5. Strain stock through colainder.
6. Save chicken for later.
7. Discard vegetables.
8. Refrigerate overnight. Defat by skimming off and any solidified fat before using.


**Freezing tip:  pour into 1 cup containers (I used cheap containers from the dollar store) and place in freezer for a few hours.  Place in foodsaver bags or freezer bags after frozen.  I also will re-use glass jars to freeze stock, as well.** 

Check out more great recipes at The Grocery Cart Challenge!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails