Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What's Cookin'-- Someone's coming to dinner

Earlier today, when my daughter and I were at the park, my husband called and said he was bring a co-worker to dinner.  I had pork chops planned (and he took out another pack from the freezer -- it's so nice having meat in the freezer), but hadn't really thought ahead from that.  I usually figure out the potato and vegetable an hour before dinner, unless I'm trying a new dish.  I froze rolls yesterday.  But I felt I needed a dessert and I didn't have anything that came to mind.  After a little searching I came up with my menu.

Here was tonight's menu
Boiled Red potatoes
Frozen corn
Coffee Cake (recipe below)


Here's the recipe for the coffee cake.  The original recipe is here, but I adapted some changes after reading the reviews.

Coffee Cake
1 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp sour cream

Topping
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon

1. Grease 8x8 pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl.  Set aside.
3. Beat egg, sugar, butter.  Add milk, vanilla, and sour cream.
4. Mix in flour mixture with wet ingredients.
5. Pour batter in 8x8 pan.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
7. Prepare topping.  Mix butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon together until crumbly.
8.  After the cake has baked for 15 minutes, put topping on cake and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until cake is done.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails