Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What's Cookin' - Pizza Burgers

These are a great alternative to hamburgers.  They reminded me of a pizza burger I used to eat at A&W years ago.  They taste very different from my other pizza burger recipe.


Pizza Burgers
These can be frozen, which is another great reason to love them. I found this recipe in Prevention's Freezer's Cookbook: Quick dishes for and from the Freezer.


1 lb ground beef
1/4 cup onions
1/4 cup bread crumb (I use crushed saltines)
2 Tbsp ketchup
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp pepper


Trimmings
4 slices mozzarella cheese (recipe calls for 1/4 shredded mozzarella cheese, but I found slices easier to use. Use vegan or soy-based cheese to make dairy-free)
4 hamburger buns
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp mayo
4 tomato slices


1. Preheat broiler.
2. Mix meat, onions, bread crumbs, ketchup, garlic, oregano, basil and pepper together.  Form into 4 patties.
3. Place patties in broiler for 8 minutes.
4. Flip patties and broil for 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
5. Place cheese on top and broil for one minute longer.
6. Mix mayo and mustard together and spread on buns.
7. Place burgers with tomatoes in buns.

Check out more recipes at The Grocery Cart Challenge!

3 comments:

Tannis said...

I can't wait to try these the next time I make burgers!

Erica said...

Yum! These sound great and love that you can freeze them ahead of time.

SnoWhite said...

looks like fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails