Thursday, June 19, 2008

Buying Meat

Here is one reason I am able to plan my meals a month in advance.

In December we bought half a hog and a quarter cow for $535. Ok that sounds like a lot of money, but it's been a lot of meat. We started with 90 pounds of ground beef alone. So many roasts that I'm still trying to find new ways to cook roast. Lots of steaks, stew meat, pork chops, hams, sausage, and brats. It was a lot of money up front. But it all was under $1.50 a pound. Saving me money during each grocery shopping trip. Ground beef alone is around $3 a pound. Steaks are easily $15 to $20. The best part is the quality of the meat is guaranteed and it tastes really good. No question about whether we purchased something that wouldn't taste good. I still buy chicken -- usually chicken breasts or leg quarters. I usually stock up during a sale. I love having a freezer full of meat and not having to worry if it's going to be an expensive grocery bill because of the meals I planned for the week. If you have the chance to do this, give it a try!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have been talking about doing this too. I also stock up on meats when they are on sale. We usually have venison in the freezer too.

Monica said...

We also have talked about this. I know I was talking with a couple of people about going together. I still need to find out the cost.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails