Monday, June 9, 2008

Laundry

I am not a huge fan of this task. But I think I finally have found a system that works for me. My issue is the putting away part, not the sorting, washing, drying, folding -- just putting it away.

Here are my solutions:
1. I presort the laundry with a sorter that has three slots. My daughter's laundry I do with special detergent (due to itchy skin) and keep a hamper in her room. My husband does a pretty good job following the sort. Sometimes I still move clothes around, but it saves a ton of time having the sorter.

2. Now that my daughter is past her infant/spitting up/going through 3 outfits, 4 blankets, 15 spit-up rags, 20 bibs a day phase; I do her laundry every other day. I used to do it every night and fold it in the morning when she played. Now I do about half of that every other day, in the morning, after her bath and put it away after her morning nap.

3. I do our laundry twice a week so the loads aren't overwhelming. Usually Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday. Depends on my schedule for the week. I start the loads really early and my goal is to have it done by 2 p.m., which is plenty of time for interruptions. And then it's done before I start supper.

4. I only use one basket.

5. As soon as the load is done, I take it out of the dryer and move to the room the clothes or towels belong to. I start folding right away and putting them away. I used to take the basket into the living room and sit down, fold, get interrupted and it could take a couple hours to put away. So now when I do a load of towels, I take the basket to the bathroom and as I fold them I put them in the cabinet. It makes for a much easier time and I don't trip on the laundry basket or dread getting that chore done.


That is what has been working for me. It took me months to figure it out. I'm just thankful I'm not in an apartment trying to do laundry in a laundry room with the baby. Boy would that have difficult.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you...I hate putting laundry away too! I have a system that works well too. I just sometimes don't follow through with it.

I am so glad you started a blog. It is fun to read.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails