Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Field trip to the apple orchard

There is an apple orchard about 5 minutes from our home. We went today for the first time. It's expanded since I was there last with a large play area with Tee-Pees made of corn husks, tunnels, hay mazes, tricycles, and swings, which is great for kids to have a place to run and play. There are apple trees everywhere, a pumpkin patch, corn maze and hay rides. They also sell apples and everything apple along with seasonal crafts.

A few weeks ago I was singing "Old MacDonald" to my little one and he had a turkey on his farm, (first time I mentioned a turkey). I gobbled and my daughter, who was getting ready for sleep, took out her pacifier and gobbled back at me. It was as though she had been waiting for the turkey to come out. Today we walked up to the animals at the orchard and she started gobbling. Sure enough there were turkeys. I can't think of ever showing her a turkey in a book or on a video. Where did she pick that up? Somewhere when I wasn't looking.

Be sure to expose your kids, no matter what age, to as much as you can. Our trip to the apple orchard was cheap -- 50 cents to play in the play area and $10 for apples and apple pie. Find one near you if you get the chance. You might have a "gobble" moment of your own!

1 comment:

Monica said...

I love going to the Apple Orchard and Pumpkin patch too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails