I found this recipe on www.cooksillustrated.com. They are really easy to make and taste really good. I made them last year for Thanksgiving. I like that you don' t need to roll out the dough and use a cookie cutter to make them. Just drop them on a cookie sheet.
(Makes 12 biscuits)
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
8 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus 2 Tbsp melted butter for brushing biscuits
1. Preheat oven 475 degrees. Adjust rack to middle of oven.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in large bowl.
3. Combine buttermilk and 8 Tbsp of butter in medium bowl stirring until butter forms small clumps.
4. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir with rubber spatula until just incorporated and batter pulls away from sides of bowl. It will still be clumpy and that's good.
5. Use a greased 1/4 measuring cup and scoop level amount of batter and drop onto parchment lined baking sheet. Space biscuits about 1 1/2 inches apart.
6. Bake until tops are golden and crisp. 12 to 14 minutes.
7. After taking them out of the oven, brush tops with 2 Tbsp of melted butter. Cool for 5 minutes.